The kids have been home all week from school for an unexpected winter vacation, the weather has warmed up a little, and WinterFEST is returning to Newton, making it a perfect weekend to get out and enjoy life.
Here are five things to do in Newton this weekend.
Saturday, Jan. 27
- At 10 a.m., Newton Community Pride will kick off WinterFEST 2024 with a Guided Winter Walk through Cold Spring Park, led by the Newton Conservators and Olaf from the film “Frozen.” The walk is family-friendly and dog-friendly, but dogs must be leashed.
- From 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., WinterFEST continues at the Hyde Community Center for a Community Soup Social at the Hyde Playground. Local restaurants will provide hot bowls of soup to keep guests warm while the Timba Messengers perform. There will also be hot chocolate and cookies, glow-in-the-dark hula hoops, public art by Brighter Ignited, Olaf from the film “Frozen” and a visit from Officer Leo, Newton’s community resource dog.
- At 6 p.m., the United Parish of Auburndale will host “Don’t forget Your Art” with music by Rob Siegel, art by Dan Murphy and poetry by Julia Wolfe. Tickets are $15 for adults and $5 for students $5.
Sunday, Jan. 28
- From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., WinterFEST will take over the Newton Centre Village Green for some entertainment featuring Elsa from the film “Frozen,” the ZOVA Quartet, Newton North’s Melocotones and Northern Lights acapella groups, BC’s B.E.A.T.S, a Lion Dance presented by Wu An Martial Arts and an Indigenous performance by Tokalli Macehualli. There will also be ice sculpting demonstrations, a visit from the Roaming Snowballogists, a chance to paint a plow truck with the Newton DPW, a Winter Pop-up Market and more. NCP and Welcome Home will have a winter blanket collection drive on the Newton Centre Green. You can bring new or gently used full, queen, or king blankets—without any rips or stains—and drop off at the Welcome Home table during WinterFEST hours.
- From 3 to 4:30 p.m., WinterFEST 2024 will end with a Dance Party with Josh and the Jamtones, with hot chocolate and crafts as well.