It’s the first official weekend of fall, and it looks like there’s going to be some rain on Friday and Saturday but then some sun for Sunday, so it won’t be a total wash.
Here are some things to do in Newton this weekend:
Friday, Sept. 29
- End your week with harmony at “Up Close & Musical,” a faculty concert performed at the All Newton Music School. Anne-Marie and Jim Chubet will perform violin and piano duets, and John Muratore will play classical guitar. Elliot Lazar will sing, with Keegan Marshall-House on piano.
Saturday, Sept. 30
- Upper Falls Village Day will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The annual gathering will feature live music, Jenny the Juggler, face painting and food from Little Luke’s Cafe.
- Step back in time about 40 years or so, with the “I Want my 80s Adult Prom,” from 6 p.m. to midnight at the American Legion Nonantum Post 440, 295 California St. This fundraiser will feature music, dancing, food, cocktails and a breakdancing competition. Attendees are encouraged to go all out with 1980s fashion, hair and makeup for this fun flashback fundraiser.
Sunday, Oct. 1
- The Newton Senior Center will have its Walk to End Alzheimer’s at 1 p.m. Participants are encouraged to wear purple to show support. The walk will begin at the Brigham House, 20 Hartford St., in Newton Highlands, and proceed to Beacon Street and back via Walnut Street. To sign up or donate to Team Newton Senior Center, go to http://act.alz.org/goto/TeamNewtonSeniorCenter. For help registering or to make a donation, contact Emily Kuhl (team captain) at 617-796-1672 or email@example.com.
- There’s another walk to participate in, the Friends of the Poor Walk, organized by the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, starting at 1:30. This 1.5-mile walk will go around Crystal Lake, beginning and ending at Sacred Heart Church, 1321 Centre St. Visit fopwalk.org/event/2869 to register to walk with, to donate to the event or to support a specific walker. All the funds raised will help with food, clothing and housing-related assistance. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.